The major Finance of the MSc Business Administration seeks to convey expertise about capital market instruments as well as methods of internal business financing. In the banking and insurance sector, the subject of risk measurement and control has increasingly come to the fore owing to more stringent supervisory regulations.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of (corporate) finance, banking and insurance
- Learn to understand the interpendencies between corporate accounting, business valuation and portfolio management
- Analyse current economic questions and challenges regarding company valuation, decision-making problems in bank and insurance operations and risk management
- Meet potential employers during the programme in courses and career events like the WiSo jobfair
- Take the next step for your finance career in a company, bank, insurance firm or other financial service provider
This major prepares students for a career in the finance sector – within enterprises, banks, insurance companies and other financial service providers, e.g. investment or leasing companies. There are also myriad opportunities in finance departments at consultancy and auditing firms. People who work in investment banking, investment companies or consultancies that deal with investments are generally expected to have solid understanding of corporate accounting, business valuation and portfolio management. As the University of Cologne is state-funded, there are no tuition fees, just biannual "semester contribution" of slightly more than 250 euros. This includes the "semester ticket" for public transportation throughout Cologne's home state of North Rhine- Westphalia. So, with us, you can invest in an excellent education - and your future - without paying a fortune.
As a student of the WiSo Faculty, you gain from an approach that is based on theory and methods, combining both research and teaching with practical elements. The teaching at our Faculty has benefited from many years of experience in working with companies and visiting lecturers from different professional fields. Many of the visiting lecturers are professionals and managers who bring important industry experience to the programmes, resulting in sector-specific, up-to-date programme content for our students. This ensures that the programmes reflect the real world and that they thus combine the practice and the theory, whilst also promoting knowledge-sharing between companies and you, the student.
In today's world, every business enterprise must be proficient in finance and risk management techniques.