Internationalization of small and medium-sized enterprises, international entrepreneurship, (Corporate) entrepreneurship, foreign market entry strategies, coopetition
- Since 2018 Full Professor of Business Administration and Head of the Endowed Chair for Interdisciplinary Management Education at the University of Cologne
- 2012-2018 Full Professor of Business Administration and Head of the Chair for Management at the University of Duesseldorf
- 2016-2018 Vice Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at the University of Duesseldorf
- 2011-2012 Interim Professor for Management at the University of Trier
- 2009-2011 Post-doctoral researcher at the University of Giessen (Venia Docendi; Habilitation)
- 2004-2008 Research Assistant at the University of Giessen (Ph.d.)
- 2006/2016 Visiting scholar at the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA and at the Department of Management and International Business at the University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Schwens, C., Zapkau, F., Brouthers, K.D. & Hollender, L. (Forthcoming). Limits to International Entry Mode Learning in SMEs. Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS).
- Schwens, C., Zapkau, F.B., Bierwerth, M., Isidor, R., Knight, G., & Kabst, R. (2018). International Entrepreneurship: A Meta-Analysis on the Internationalization and Performance Relationship. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice (ET&P).
- Klier, H., Schwens, C., Zapkau, F. B. & Dikova, D. (2017). Which Resources Matter How and Where? A Meta-Analysis on Firms' Foreign Establishment Mode Choice. Journal of Management Studies (JMS), Vol. 54(3): 304-339.
- Engelen, A., Neumann, C. & Schwens, C. (2015). "Of Course I Can": The Effect of CEO Overconfidence on Entrepreneurially Oriented Firms. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice (ET&P). Vol. 39(5), 1137-1160.
- Maekelburger, B., Schwens, C. & Kabst, R. (2012). Asset Specificity and Foreign Market Entry Mode Choice of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Moderating Influence of Knowledge Safeguards and Institutional Safeguards.Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS). Vol 43(5), 458-476.
- Schwens, C., Eiche, J. & Kabst, R. (2011). The Moderating Impact of Informal Institutional Distance and Formal Institutional Risk on SME Entry-Mode Selection. Journal of Management Studies (JMS). Vol. 48(2), 330-351.