The departments of the Marketing Area collectively offer master theses three times a year (1st of March, 1st of July, and 1st of November) that students can apply for.
1. Before Requirements
- You have chosen Marketing as your major.
- You have successfully completed a main seminar at one of the departments of the Marketing Area.
- Basic knowledge in statistics/econometrics is essential (acquired in either bachelor or master studies).
2. Application Process
If you wish to apply for a Master thesis, submit the following application materials:
- Completed application form for master theses
- Bachelor certificate (copy)
- Current list of grades provided by the examination office (copy)
- Curriculum vitae
3. Open Topics
For a detailed list of the currently available topics for which students can apply accordingly, please visit the homepage of the chair that is in charge of the current application period:
- March: Department of Marketing and Brand Management,
- July: Chair for Marketing and Market Research,
- November: Department of Retailing and Customer Management.
The following books are helpful for successfully writing a master thesis:
- Baumgarth,C./Eisend, M./Evanschitzky, H. (2009): Empirische Mastertechniken: Eine anwendungsorientierte Einführung für die Marketing- und Managementforschung, Wiesbaden.
- Herrmann, A./Homburg,C./Klarmann, M. (2008): Handbuch Marktforschung, 3. Aufl., Wiesbaden.
5. Suggesting a topic for master theses in cooperation with external businesses
- In exceptional cases students are allowed to pursue topics in cooperation with external companies/ organizations. The conditions are that the student has achieved above average grades and that the topic lies within the research focus of the respective department.
In case you want to propose your own topic, please send your CV and your thesis proposal to the contact person between the 1st and 15th of the month before every application date (i.e., from February 1st to 15th for March 1st; from June 1st to 15th for July 1st; from October 1st to 15th for November 1st).