International Management (CEMS MIM)
If you’re already studying International Management and would like to find out more about specific details of your master programme, you’ll find what you’re looking for on the Master in International Management Programme Structure pages.
The University of Cologne's M.Sc. in International Management and the CEMS Master's are designed to provide you with excellent academic and practical training, together with an international focus for your future career in a global business environment.
In a nutshell
- Standard period of study: 4 semesters, full-time
- Start: Fall term
- Degree title: Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Language: English
- Fees: Only social contribution fee (more information here)
- Application deadline: March 31st 2020
- No. 1 international management education in Germany (Financial Time Masters in Management Ranking)
- Broadest global network of top 33 business schools from 32 countries with a presence on every continent
- Broadest global network of around 70 multinational companies and 7 NGOs
- Wide and multidisciplinary offer of courses (e.g., digital analytics, including politics, sociology, geography, etc.)
- Unique CEMS student community - at home and all around the world !
What is the CEMS network?
This network is a global alliance of 33 leading business schools across 5 continents, around 70 multinational corporations and seven social partners that together offer the CEMS Master’s in International Management (MIM). We are a founding member – and the only German member – of the CEMS alliance. From the first days of your studies the CEMS network offers you a strong and lifelong community that supports you personally and in your career. The CEMS MIM, top-ranked in the Financial Times Masters in Management Ranking, is a pre-experience postgraduate degree. It is open to top-class, internationally minded, multilingual students enrolled in the M.Sc. in International Management programme at the WiSo Faculty – one of the CEMS member schools.
An opportunity not to be missed!
Learn to apply the latest research and appropriate solutions to questions with practical, real-world relevance on courses at your home and partner universities. Develop an understanding of the role of leadership in different intercultural environments and effective approaches to strengthening ethical behaviour in business. Reflect on your own conceptions of leadership and relate them to current positions and arguments discussed in academic literature and case studies. Discuss current topics of relevance to international companies (strategy, organisation, personnel, business ethics, etc.) with CEMS members from all over the world; learn econometric methods and analyse the economic situation of global companies. As the University of Cologne is state-funded, there are no tuition fees - just a biannual "semester contribution" of a little more than 280 euros - so you can invest in an excellent education - and your future - without paying a fortune.
As a student of the WiSo Faculty, you benefit from an approach that is based on theory and methods, combining both research and teaching with practical elements. The teaching at our faculty has benefited from many years of experience in working with companies and visiting lecturers from different professional fields. Many of the visiting lecturers are professionals and managers who bring important industry experience to the programmes, resulting in sector-specific, up-to-date programme content for our students. This ensures that the programmes reflect the real world and that they thus combine the practical and the theoretical, whilst also promoting knowledge-sharing between companies and you, the student.
Some examples of the questions CEMS MIM students look at
- How are multinational companies managed and organised and what types of strategy to they use?
- How can I analyse the economic situation of multinational companies and other global institutions?
- How can I assess future trends in how business is done in the face of ever-changing technology?
- How do I conduct a case study?
- How do I communicate in an intercultural team?
- How can I present my findings in written form and in presentations?
- What do I need to be aware of when practising intercultural management?
- How can I become a responsible manager?
- How can I apply research findings to real-life business issues?
- How can I check and compare the effects of a company’s marketing activities?
- How can I use mathematical methods to determine optimum stock levels for a company?
The University of Cologne – a founding member of the CEMS Alliance – is the only German university to deliver the prestigious CEMS Master’s in International Management degree. In Cologne, we cooperate closely with our corporate partners. If you are interested in international management and in a programme that prepares you for a position in a multinational enterprise, CEMS MIM is the perfect choice for you.
Information on the application
We are currently revising the following contents. All current information will be available at the end of November 2021 at the latest.
Admission Requirements and Selection Procedure
Application Deadline and Process
Standard period of study: 4 semesters, full-time | Start: fall term | Degree title: Master of Science
The master's programe carries 120 ECTS credits and compromises a Core and Advanced Section, a Specialisation Section, a Supplementary Section and a Master Thesis.
- The core and advanced category (54 CPs) comprises the compulsory CEMS Cores and elective modules.
- In the supplementary category (24 CPs), you are free to choose one of five subjects: Accounting, Taxations and Finance, Corporate Development, Marketing, Supply Chain Management or Economics.
- Modules in the specialisation category (27 CPs) feature the CEMS Business Project and Case Studies Course.
- The Master’s thesis (15 CPs) analyses a specific topic or problem and is normally completed during the fourth term.
For more information about the several sections and the courses please have a look at the following webpage.
If you want to experience international atmosphere in a city which has a lot to offer and provides you with everything you need – you should definitely apply for the CEMS MIM at the University of Cologne!
From the first day of your studies the CEMS network offers you a strong and lifelong
community that supports you personally and in your career. Become part of it and apply now!