Master Information Systems
Double Qualification in Business Studies and Computer Science
If you’re already studying Information Systems and would like to find out more about specific details of your master’s programme, you’ll find what you’re looking for on the Pages relating the Programme structure of the M.Sc Information Systems.
|Degree:||Master of Science|
|Language:||English and German (in selected Courses)|
|Content:||Interdisciplinary discipline of business studies and computer science, which deals with the conception, development, and application of information systems in business, administration and increasingly in our private lives.|
|International:||1 Optional Semester Abroad|
This programme provides you with:
- theoretical and methodological basis for dealing with key issues such as data science, digital transformation and innovation, processes and business models as well as solutions for a sustainable society.
- education in the interdisciplinary field of information systems, which has its roots in computer science, economics, and business management.
- the key capability to bridge business management and computer science that is often required in the labour market.
- A sound know-how of marketing concepts and methods is crucial for management and economics students and an indispensable part of any good manager’s toolset. Case studies, business projects with companies, and guest lecturers from the corporate world give you insights about relevant.
The study of information system is characterised by a huge interdisciplinarity throughout economics, management, and information systems. What this programme makes unique is the combination between these two fields.
This programme is right for you if you:
- have a bachelor degree in computer science, information systems, economics, business administration or related areas.
- provide technical skills related to mathematics and statistics, computer science, especially programming and coding.
- are interested to study in an international and intercultural work environment.
- work as a team player, because working in groups is often practiced in seminars and is an important key factor for later work in companies.
- are ready to take the next step in your career as a broad-based information systems specialist in the corporate world.
Preparing you for future challenges
The programme is hosted by the Cologne Institute for Information Systems (CIIS). Members of the CIIS and the CIIS on an institutional level have achieved remarkable recognitions in most recent ranking surveys; e.g., according to WirtschaftsWoche (WIWO) Ranking, a leading German business magazine, professors Wolf Ketter, Christoph Rosenkranz, and Detlef Schoder all rank among the top 5 % of all business researchers in German-speaking countries. In addition, the CIIS is one of the best ranked information systems research institutions worldwide according to the recently released 2021 ranking by the Association of Information Systems (top 50 worldwide, top 10 in Europe and 2nd in Germany).
- Digital Transformation and Analytics
- Information Systems and Information Management
- Information Systems and Integrated Information
- Systems Information Systems and Systems Development
- Information Systems for Sustainable Society
Through your direct contact with the institute’s professors, you will receive an excellent education, as professors in the CIIS rank among the top scholars within their fields. Many of our graduates have developed business contacts even before completing their studies.
For detailed information please go to ciis.uni-koeln.de
Our study programmes in Information Systems offer both theory and methods for dealing with key issues such as big data, digital transformation, and innovation in IT products, processes and business models. Our students will not only gain an understanding of these issues but also develop the skills to find and shape business solutions.
Link to the practical world
Our faculty has benefited from many years of experience working with companies and with visiting lecturers from a variety of professional fields. These professionals and managers bring highly relevant industry experience to the programme, resulting in sector-specific, up-to-date programme content that combines practice and theory and reflects the real world.
As Information Systems is an international and interdisciplinary subject, an open and international mind is required; courses are taught and literature is almost exclusively in English.*
Students from numerous countries apply for admission to our Master of Science in Information Systems programme, so you can be sure of an international and intercultural work and study environment. For instance, within our Advanced Seminar Information Systems, you can choose a course in collaboration with students from several countries as China, Norway, Finland, the U.S., etc. and work on international projects.
*Since individual compulsory courses are offered in German, proof of language proficiency of German (C1) and English (B2) is required for an application.
Optional semester abroad
Our cooperation agreements with an extensive number of excellent partner universities worldwide provide you with attractive options for your term abroad. In addition, you may enrich your studies through our short programmes in New York and Hong Kong or through a summer school. For more information, offers and advice please contact our International Relations Center (ZIB WiSo).
Broad international network
This internationally-focused master’s programme prepares you with its balanced theory and practice approach to start your career in international-related jobs and enables you to work for internationalised companies. Additionally, the WiSo Faculty has a broad Alumni network of former students who work across all business segments around the globe.
As a graduate in the interdisciplinary field of information systems, you will find attractive positions that call for your skills as a broad-based specialist. Many of our graduates have developed good business contacts even before completing their studies. Because of their broad-based, specialised education, you as a graduate will be able to work in any field and in any position related to IT and economics, including IT consultancies.
Professors were always happy to provide feedback and offered their support when needed. During my studies, I could see how elements such as coursework, research, and impact worked together to guide my personal development and to improve the overall experience of the students.
Exemplary job opportunities
- IS Project Management and Systems Engineering
- Data Analytics and Data Science
- Digital Transformation and Innovation
- Green IS, Smart Energy and Sustainability
- Trainee Programmes
- Academic Research
- Start-ups and Entrepreneurs
Some of our graduates choose to specialise further and work as, for instance, data analysts, data scientists, or entrepreneurs. Our leading partners in industry, ranging from large insurance companies to mid-sized software-development companies, value our graduates as they are ready for action. Our graduates are also involved in start-ups, so if you are interested in setting up your own enterprise, you can count on the university’s support.
For all those who are interested in academic research after finishing their master studies, the CIIS and the University of Cologne Graduate School (CGS) provides students with competitive master results the possibility for a postgraduate programme (Ph.D.).
At the same time, the M.Sc. degree is, of course, an excellent base for applying for graduate degree programmes at other national and international universities.
All information about the Master's application at the WiSo Faculty.
Detailed information and contact
We are happy to support you in your ambitions:
For students the WiSo Student Service Point offers not only advice on studying but also support on all aspects of career choice, career planning and the application process:
- WiSo Student Service Point Phone: +49 (0) 221/470-8818