Companies around the world are facing major changes in the customer and media environment due to the rise of the Internet, new communication technologies, and the digitization of fundamental economic and social processes. In detail, major changes include for example
- the increasing levels of transparency in information search and commercial transactions,
- the increasingly active role that customers play in value chains,
- the need to measure and to manage resource allocation decisions in such digital environments (global scope, high velocity, multiplex cause-effect mechanisms), and
- the increasing need to demonstrate how management decisions enhance the firm’s value in such environments.
Associated research questions cover important topics such as
- the impact of new Internet technologies on customers,
- the mechanisms by which customers co-create innovative products and services,
- the allocation of and return from resources in digital and other media environments,
- the role and evolution of brands in digital environments, or
- the ability to better manage the marketing mix and its impact on firm valuation by capital markets.
More information and news can be found on the following website: http://www.digital.uni-koeln.de