His research interests are in the fields of Strategic Media Management, Management of Digital Innovations and Technologies, Behavioral Operations Research, as well as Service-Dominant Logic in Marketing, Actor Engagement, and Consumer Behavior in the Media and Technology domain.
Professor Dr. Reinhard Kunz joined the Department of Media and Technology Management at the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences at the University of Cologne in August 2018.
Current research projects focus on influencing factors and impacts of business model innovation in times of digital transformation, proactive decision-making, consumer innovativeness and lead userness, user acceptance of technological media innovations such as Virtual Reality, as well as value creation of audio-visual sport media and digital business models.
Professor Kunz gained international research experiences at La Trobe University (Australia), Swinburne University of Technology (Australia), and Sacred Heart University (CT/USA). His research results were published e.g. in the European Journal of Operational Research, the Journal of Economic Surveys, and the Journal of Media Business Studies.
In 2012, the European Association for Sport Management awarded Professor Kunz with the New Researcher Award. In 2017, his article on “Sport-Related Branded Entertainment” published in Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal was awarded with the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence.
Before his appointment in Cologne, Professor Kunz worked as a Junior Professor for Media Management, Sport Media at the University of Bayreuth from 2012 to 2017 and as a Professor for Marketing & Sales in the Department of Business & Management at the Management Center Innsbruck (MCI) in Austria from 2017 to 2018.
Reinhard Kunz studied Business Administration at the University of Bayreuth and the Universidade do Porto (Portugal). After his studies, he was a research and teaching assistant at the Chair for Services Management at the University of Bayreuth, where he successfully completed his doctorate in 2012.
- Kunz, R. & Santomier, J. (2020): Sport Content and Virtual Reality Technology Acceptance. Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal, Volume 10, Issue 1, pp. 83-103. Online: https://doi.org/10.1108/SBM-11-2018-0095.
- Siebert, J., Kunz, R., & Rolf, P. (2020). Effects of Proactive Decision Making on Life Satisfaction. European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 280, Issue 3, pp. 1171-1187. Online: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2019.08.011.
- Mütterlein, J., Kunz, R., & Baier, D. (2019). Effects of Lead-Usership on the Acceptance of Media Innovations: A Mobile Augmented Reality Case. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Volume 145, pp. 113-124. Online: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2019.04.019.
- Mandler, T., Seifert, R., Wellbrock, C.-M., Knuth, I., & Kunz, R. (2018). The Impact of National Culture on Mobile Commerce Adoption and Usage Intensity, Proceedings of the 51st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Hawaii/HI, USA.
- Mütterlein, J. & Kunz, R. (2017): Innovate Alone or with Others? Influence of Entrepreneurial Orientation and Alliance Orientation on Media Business Model Innovation. Journal of Media Business Studies, Volume 14, Issue 3, pp. 173-187. Online: https://doi.org/10.1080/16522354.2018.1445162.
- Kunz, R., Mütterlein, J., & Walton, V. (2017). Organizational Choices and Venturing Modes: An Analysis of Corporate Venture Capital Activities in Legacy Media. The Journal of Media Innovations, Volume 4, Issue 1 (March), pp. 26-43. Online: http://dx.doi.org/10.5617/jmi.v4i1.2429.
- Kumb, F., Kunz, R., & Siegert, G. (2017). Research on the Motion Picture Industry: State of the Art and New Directions off the Beaten Track away from Theatrical Release. The Journal of Economic Surveys, Volume 31, Issue 2 (April), pp. 577-601. Online: https://doi.org/10.1111/joes.12145.
- Siebert, J. & Kunz, R. (2016). Developing and Validating the Multidimensional Proactive Decision-Making Scale. European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 249, Issue 3 (March), pp. 864-877. Online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.06.066.
- Kunz, R., Siebert, J., & Mütterlein, J. (2016). Structuring Objectives of Media Companies: A Case Study Based on Value-Focused Thinking and the Balanced Scorecard. Journal of Media Business Studies, Volume 13, Issue 4, pp. 257-275. Online: http://doi-org/10.1080/16522354.2016.1220114.
- Kunz, R., Elsässer, F., & Santomier, J. (2016). Sport-Related Branded Entertainment: The Red Bull Phenomenon. Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal, Volume 6, Issue 5 (September), pp. 520-541. Elected as Outstanding Paper in the 2017 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence. Online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/SBM-06-2016-0023.
- Kunz, R., Siebert, J., & Mütterlein, J. (2016). Combining Value-Focused Thinking and Balanced Scorecard to Improve Decision-Making in Strategic Management. Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, Volume 23, Issue 5-6 (September-December), pp. 225–241. Online: https://doi.org/10.1002/mcda.1572.
- Santomier, J., Hogan, P., & Kunz, R. (2016). The 2012 London Olympics: Innovations in ICT and Social Media Marketing. Innovation: Management, Policy & Practice, Volume 18, Issue 3, pp. 251-269. Online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14479338.2016.1237305.