Experimental economics, children’s economic preferences, team decision making, credence goods markets, patience, public goods
- 2017 Director Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods Bonn
- 2017 Part-time Professor for Design and Behavior, University of Cologne
- 2015 Excellence Professor for Design and Behavior, University of Cologne
- 2013 Professor of Applied Economics, European University Institute, Florence
- 2013 Member of the International Faculty, University of Cologne
- 2006 Full Professor of Experimental Economics, University of Innsbruck (currently part-time)
- 2007 - 2013 Part-time Professor, Department of Economics, University of Gothenburg
- 2005 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Economics, University of Cologne
- 2003 - 2005 C3-Professor, Max Planck Institute of Economics Jena
- 2002 Economics, Habilitation (Venia legendi)
- 2002 - 2003 Associate Professor, Institute of Public Economics, University Innsbruck
- 1999 - 2002 Assistant Professor, Institute of Public Economics, University Innsbruck
- 1996 - 1999 Economics, Doctorate (Dr. rer. soc. oec.; with distinction)
- 1992 - 1996 Economics, Master (Mag. rer. soc. oec.; with distinction)
- Barron, K., Harmgart, H., Huck, S., Schneider, S. O., Sutter, M. (2021), Discrimination, narratives and family History: An experiment with Jordanian host and Syrian refugee children. Review of Economics and Statistics, in press.
- Heinz, M., Jeworrek, S., Mertins, V., Schumacher, H., Sutter, M. (2020), Measuring indirect effects of unfair employer behavior on worker productivity – A field experiment. Economic Journal 130(632): 2546-2568.
- Karlsson Linner, R. K., Biroli, P., …, Sutter, M., …, Beauchamp, J. (2019), Genome-wide association analyses of risk tolerance and risky behaviors in over 1 million individuals identify hundreds of loci and shared genetic influences. Nature Genetics 51(2), 245-257.
- Sutter, M., Zoller, C., Glätzle-Rützler, D. (2019), Economic behavior of children and adolescents – A first survey of experimental economics results. European Economic Review 111: 98-121.
- Charness, G., Feri, F., Melendez-Jimenez, M., Sutter, M. (2014), Experimental games on networks: Underpinnings of behavior and equilibrium selection. Econometrica, 82(5): 1615-1670.
- Sutter, M., Kocher, M., Rützler, D., Trautmann, S. (2013), Impatience and uncertainty: Experimental decisions predict adolescents’ field behavior. American Economic Review 103(1): 510-531.
- Balafoutas, L., Beck, A., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2013), What drives taxi drivers? A field experiment on fraud in a market for credence goods. Review of Economic Studies, 80(3): 876-891.
- Balafoutas, L., Sutter, M. (2012), Affirmative action policies promote women and do not harm efficiency in the lab. Science 335(6068): 579-582.
- Dulleck, U., Kerschbamer, R., Sutter, M. (2011), The economics of credence goods: On the role of liability, verifiability, reputation and competition. American Economic Review 101(2): 526-555.
- Sutter, M., Haigner, S., Kocher, M. (2010), Choosing the stick or the carrot? – Endogenous institutional choice in social dilemma situations. Review of Economic Studies 77(4): 1540-1566.
- Feri, F., Irlenbusch, B., Sutter, M. (2010), Efficiency gains from team-based coordination – Large-scale experimental evidence. American Economic Review 100(4): 1892-1912.
- Sutter, M. (2009), Individual behavior and group membership: Comment. American Economic Review 99(5): 2247-2257.