Applied Microeconomics, Economics of Crime, Law and Economics, Labor Economics
- Since 05/2020: Associate Professor (W2), University of Cologne
- 2018-2020: Assistant Professor, University of Gothenburg
- 2015-2018: Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Gothenburg
- 2010-2015: MRes/MPhil/PhD student, University College London
- 2005-2010: Studies in Economics, University of Bonn & ENSAE Paris
- The persistence of the criminal justice gender gap: Evidence from 200 years of judicial decisions (with Randi Hjalmarsson), Journal of Law and Economics, forthcoming.
- Path dependency in jury decision-making (with Randi Hjalmarsson), Journal of the European Economic Association, 2019, 17(6): 1971-2017.
- How punishment severity affects jury verdicts: Evidence from two natural experiments (with Randi Hjalmarsson), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2018, 10(4): 36-78.
- Crime scars: Recessions and the making of career criminals (with Brian Bell and Stephen Machin), Review of Economics and Statistics, 2018, 100(3): 392-404.
- Prisons, recidivism and the age-crime profile (with Randi Hjalmarsson), Economics Letters, 2017, 152: 46-49.
Selected media publications
- “Tough love: How abolishing the death penalty led to more convictions”, The Economist, Apr 12th 2017 edition.
- “Britain’s new underclass: Hiding in plain sight”, The Economist, Apr 22nd 2015 edition.