Here the Examination Office provides information on current developments in the examination process. It also provides information about the requirements for the performance of examinations, which result from the current hygiene concept of the university. Therefore, please inform yourself on these pages even shortly before an examination. Information that only concerns individual exams will be published further via the Campus Management System KLIPS. All important information on current measures and advice in connection with the novel corona virus (SARS-CoV-2) can be found on the website of the Rectorate of the University of Cologne".
In KLIPS, the dates of the examinations organised by the Examination Office have now been published. Please note the following points in particular:
Current information on the organisation of examinations (14.10.2020)
Coordination is currently underway between the WiSo examinations office, the examinations offices of other faculties and the university administration as to which lecture halls are available for examinations at what times in the winter semester. It is also being coordinated with the responsible university office as to when the necessary resources will be available to conduct the individual online examinations. When planning, we make every effort to set the examination dates in accordance with the study plans for the individual degree programmes. According to current planning, we will most likely have to schedule examination dates throughout the lecture-free period in February and March 2021. In addition, there will also be examinations at mid-term and in the last week of lectures. However, the setting of the dates stands and falls with the fact that the necessary resources are available at the desired times for an in-class or online examination.
Even in the winter semester 2020/21, only one date will be available for each module examination.
The Examination Office tries to announce examination dates via KLIPS as soon as they are sufficiently certain. However, we must currently assume that, contrary to the original planning, not all examination dates can be announced by the beginning of the lecture period.
Please note that the setting of all dates is subject to the respective measures in place to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and its consequences for examinations.
Graduation Ceremony (updated 19.06.2020)
The final documents (certificates and diploma supplement) are usually presented in person at the traditional examination ceremony. Unfortunately, this celebration has to be cancelled in the usual form this summer semester.
Students who are assigned to this examination ceremony can inform themselves here about the receipt of the final documents.
Free attempt (NEW 06.10.2020 - extended until 31.12.2020)
The Rectorate and the faculties of the University of Cologne have jointly decided, on the basis of the Corona Epidemic University Ordinance, that examinations taken between 01.04.2020 and 31.12.2020 and not passed will be considered as not taken. This does not apply to final theses.
In detail, this means that exams which are usually considered - not appeared - not passed (this also applies to exams in which students have documented by a clear declaration of intent that they do not wish to take any exams) are subsequently booked in KLIPS with a subsequent withdrawal. The submission of requests for subsequent withdrawal is not permitted for examinations with a date in the above-mentioned period not necessary. The regulations on final papers remain unaffected.
Information sheet on conducting presence examinations (NEW 22.05.2020)
Here you will find the information sheet on conducting presence tests. Familiarize yourself with the regulations and procedures and observe them strictly. The information sheet also contains directions to the examination room at Koelnmesse.
Examinations (updated 18.05.2020)
- The cancelled March dates of the examinations organised by the Examination Office will be held as attendance examinations in the period from 2nd June and 9th June 2020, unless they have already been examined or announced in a different examination form. If you wish to take one of these examinations, you must register via KLIPS immediately and until the end of the registration phase!
- The mid-term exams organised by the Examination Office will also take place during the above-mentioned period. If you would like to take one of these exams, you must register via KLIPS from now until the end of the registration period!
- The examinations between 2nd June and 9th June 2020 will take place both on the Campus and at KölnMesse. Detailed directions will be made available here in good time.
- The rooms for the on-campus examinations will - as usual - be added in KLIPS at the end of the registration phase.
- Please always pay attention to the instructions given in the respective registration information in the examination set up in KLIPS.
- An information sheet on the organisation of attendance examinations will be published here shortly. Please familiarise yourself with the regulations and procedures and observe them as a matter of urgency.
- For further individual face-to-face exams in June the exam dates will be published as soon as the auditorium allocation for the WiSo-Faculty is fixed.
- Information on the regular examinations at the end of lectures will be published as soon as this information is available. Due to the limited room resources available, the lecture halls are allocated centrally, as all faculties have to access these rooms. The regular examinations at the end of lectures are currently planned for the period 20th July 2020 to 30th September 2020. (Addendum 20.05.2020: Of course, individual exams organized by the chairs themselves can also take place earlier. Please pay attention to the entries in KLIPS.)
- Individual examination days will have to be extended in length and may last until about 8 pm.
- Furthermore, it will almost certainly be unavoidable to change the current examination schedule. It will be unavoidable that exams that were previously held on different days will now have to be held on the same day.
- Due to the possibility that, after a certain phase of relaxation as a result of a second wave of the pandemic, more stringent restrictions will again be necessary and that the regular examination phase may also last into September (see above), no examinations (second dates) organised by the Examination Office will be held in September according to the current state of planning. This information is also subject to current developments.
Basically: All new scheduled exam dates are published in Klips. All such dates are subject to current developments. A new registration via Klips will be required. Please follow the entries in KLIPS regularly.
If you have problems writing papers due to the current measures taken because of the spread of the coronavirus, please contact your examiner directly.
Alternative forms of examination (UPDATED 20.05.2020)
- Examiners may request for their examination(s) to take place in a different form or for a different duration than that provided for in the examination regulations. If such a request is approved, the examiner will inform you in good time by Smail.
- Oral examinations can be held via video conference. Should this be the case for one of your exams, you will also be informed by the examiner via Smail.
- Such an examination via video conference requires your consent. This consent is deemed to have been given if you participate in the examination.
- If the form of an examination is changed after the student has registered for the examination, subsequent withdrawal is possible. Such a request must be submitted to the Examinations Office in writing without delay.
Final theses (updated 20.05.2020)
- Please contact the examiner for the registration of a thesis as before.
- For the notifications from Bachelor's and Master's theses that are submitted by 30.09.2020 will be added to the list according to § 21 section. 2 necessary ECTS points those ECTS points that students have registered for examinations between 16.03. and 20.04.2020 and which could not be acquired due to failure of these examinations. If you wish to make use of this provision, you must inform the examiner of the thesis. If in the meantime these examinations have been taken and booked on another date, the credit points from the previously registered dates can no longer be taken into account.
- Requests for return of the topic or for the extention of the deadline must still be addressed to the Examination Office.
- According to the current status, access to the WiSo building and thus to the letterbox in front of the WiSo Student Service Point is always guaranteed by at least one entrance of the main buildung. Alternatively, theses can still be submitted by post.
- Theses can currently also be submitted online via Sciebo (university cloud). Submission via Sciebo replaces the submission of the thesis in paper form. Detailed instructions on how to upload theses to Sciebo can be found here.
Inspections (updated 20.05.2020)
- For the time being, there will be no inspection of presence.
- Inspections are only permitted via the online dispatch of the examination documents (e.g. by sending the examination documents to the Smail address).
- There is, however, no obligation for examiners to organise an inspection in this way.
- If an inspection is to take place, all the necessary data for registration and execution are published on the central inspection homepage of the faculty.
- In such a case, the deadlines for submitting assessment reviews remain unchanged (i.e. duly substantiated requests for assessment reviews must be submitted within 14 days of the inspection via the route determined by the examiner).
- If an inspection cannot take place under the current circumstances, it will be carried out at a later date after the corona measures have been relaxed. In such a case, the period for lodging an objection to an assessment will be extended accordingly.