The next application round for a study start in the fall term 2021/22 starts at the end of March 2021.
- A bachelor's degree with:
(A) at least 18 ECTS in Economics, at least 48 ECTS in further Economics, Business Administration and/or Social Sciences, and at least 15 ECTS in Statistics and/or Mathematics (methodological expertise, no merely user expertise) OR
(B) at least 40 ECTS in Mathematics.
Please note the specifications on the allocation of courses to the subject areas.
- Overall grade equivalent to at least 2.7 (German grading system) in the bachelor's degree
- English language skills (please check the specific requirements here)
Application documents for the Master's application portal
Documents required for the Master Application Portal:
- Bachelor's degree certificate: If you have not finished your bachelor studies but have passed at least 80% of the required credits (at least 144 credits in a bachelor degree carrying 180 ECTS credits), you can apply by submitting a confirmation of all credits earned so far, along with a provisional average grade computed and certified by your examination office. The remaining credits must be earned by 30 September at the latest.
- Transcript of records, stamped and signed.
- Transcript of semester abroad: If examinations passed abroad should be considered for meeting the admission criteria, the courses have to be recognised by your home university as part of your bachelor's programme. Courses must be recorded in your transcript of records.
- University entrance qualification e.g. school leaving certificates/A-level/Abitur.
- Official description of the content of all taken bachelor courses/lectures e.g. course catalogue/ module catalogue or PDF-file with link to course descriptions on the university's website.
- CV in English.
- Letter of motivation in English, explaining your reasons for applying for the Double Master's Programme (approximately 500 words).
- Letters of reference for internships and employment (wherever possible), which you would like to have considered in the assessment of your application.
- Admission test result: GMAT, GRE or TM-WiSo (not mandatory but highly recommended). We accept the Online GMAT or the GRE® General Test at Home. Students registered for the TM-Wiso or TM-Base exams should check the website for more information.
- Proof of sufficient English language skills: please check English language requirements here.
Application documents for uni-assist
Students, who did not obtain their bachelor's degree in Germany, must also apply via uni-assist. This application must be completed both online and by handing in the following documents by post:
- Authenticated (and translated) copy of bachelor's degree certification or attestation of 80% studies (and Transcript of Records)
- Authenticated (and translated) copy of university entrance qualification (e.g. A-level/Abitur)
- Authenticated copy of proof of English language proficiency. (We have suspended the language test via uni-assist for students who cannot provide this by the deadline. Now you do not have to present a certified language certificate to uni-assist. Should uni-assist have evaluated you negatively due to a lack of language skills or the wrong form of the language certificate, your application will automatically be re-evaluated.)
- Applicants with Chinese (except Hong Kong), Mongolian or Vietnamese bachelor’s certificates must also submit an original APS certificate. Certified copies cannot be accepted.
We are able to accept documents in English or German. Documents in other languages will need to be translated. For information on where and how to authenticate and translate your documents for the uni-assist application, please check the country-specific guides from uni-assist.
When applying at uni-assist, please select the following programme: Köln, Universität zu Köln (University of Cologne) and then Uni Köln, Master Uni, Economics. Further information can be found on the uni-assist website.
The deadline is 15 May 2021 for a study start in the fall term 2021/22.
Applicants with a bachelor’s degree acquired outside of Germany must additionally apply via uni-assist online and via post by 30 April 2021 (date of receipt).
Applicants shortlisted after assessment of the written applications will be invited to the University of Cologne for interview, to take place in June. If you cannot make it to Cologne for the interview, we can organise a video call. The study programme starts in October in Cologne.
Where an application for the Double Master's Programme is unsuccessful, it may still be considered for the standard M.Sc. in Economics at the University of Cologne, provided all entry requirements are fulfilled
Submit your application
From the end of March onwards, you can submit your application via the WiSo Faculty's Master's Application Portal for a study start in the fall term 2021/22. Once the portal is open, the link will be published here.