- 2007-2017 Advisory board member and leader of the “study group for Health Economics” (Schmalenbach-Gesellschaft für Betriebswirtschaft e.V.)
- 2013 William Pierskalla Finalist Award for “Stress on the ward: Evidence of safety tipping points in hospitals”; awarded by The Health Application Society of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- 2011 Best Presentation Award 2011 for “Stress on the ward: Effect of organizational workload on service quality”; awarded by the 2011 Behavioral Operations Management Conference, INSEAD sponsored by the POMS College of Behavioral OM
- 2010 Best Applied Paper 2010 Award for “Career mobility and promotion of professionals: Are complex organizations gatekeepers to top-level positions?” awarded by the Career Division of the Academy of Management
- 1995 - 2002 Head of Controlling, University Hospital of Hamburg
- 1995 Habilitation, University of Karlsruhe
- 1993 - 1995 Executive for Information Management, University Hospital of Mainz
- 1991 Promotion, University of Karlsruhe
- 1989 Diploma in Business Mathematics, University of Karlsruhe
- Staff working in hospital units with greater social capital experience less work-home conflict: Secondary analysis of a cross-sectional study (with F. Miedaner, A. Nietzsche); in: International journal of nursing studies, Vol. 75, 2017 Jul 31, pp. 139-146.
- Separate & Concentrate: Accounting for Patient Complexity in General Hospitals (with S. Sülz, S. Scholtes); in: Management Science, 2018, to appear.
- Stress on the ward: Evidence of safety tipping points in hospitals (with R. Mennicken and S. Scholtes), in: Management Science 2014, pp. 754-771.
- Treatment Speed and high load in the Emergency Department- does staff quality matter? (with S. Sülz); in: Health Care Management Science, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2013, pp. 366-376.
- Physicians in leadership: the association between medical director involvement and staff-to-patient ratios (with S. Scholtes); in: Health Care Management Science, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2013, pp. 129-138.
- Process-Based Organization Design and Hospital Performance (with A. Vera); in: Health Care Management Review, 32(1), 2007, 55-65.
- Transfer Pricing in Hospitals and Efficiency of Physicians (with A. Vera); in: Health Care Management Review, 2005, 262 ff.
- Measuring the robustness of empirical efficiency valuations (with S. Scholtes); in: Management Science, 46(6), 2000, 807-823.
Selected media publications
- HealthManagement August 2018: Separate and concentrate― a sustainable business model for general hospitals? (Link)