Economic History, Long-run Economic Growth and Development, Technological Diffusion, Economics of Education
- Since 2017 Full Professor of Economic History, University of Cologne, Germany
- 2015 – 2017 Full Professor of Economics, University of Bayreuth, Germany
- 2013 – 2016 Senior Research Fellow, Max-Planck-Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance, Munich, Germany
- 2012 – 2013 Economist, Transfer Pricing, Deloitte & Touch GmbH
- 2008 – 2012 Junior Researcher, Ifo Institute for Economic Research, Munich, Germany
- 2008 – 2012 Doctoral Student, Munich Graduate School in Economics, LMU Munich, Germany
- 2002 – 2008 Studies in Economics & Technics at the universities of Stuttgart, Hohenheim and Ottawa
- Bismarck's Health Insurance and the Mortality Decline (with Stefan Bauernschuster and Anastasia Driva), Journal of the European Economic Association, forthcoming
- Landownership Concentration and the Expansion of Education (with Francesco Cinnirella), Journal of Development Economics, 121, 2016, 135-152.
- Railroads and Growth in Prussia, Journal of the European Economic Association, 13(4), 2015, 699-736.
- Immigration and the Diffusion of Technology: The Huguenot Diaspora in Prussia, American Economic Review, 104(1), 2014, 84-122.
- Education and Catch-up in the Industrial Revolution (with Sascha O. Becker, Ludger Woessmann) American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 3(3), 2011, 92-126.